How to keep squirrels out of vegetable garden. If you are dealing with the mess made by squirrels in your garden, don’t worry.
How to keep squirrels out of vegetable garden
We are here with some handy methods that will keep the squirrels out of your vegetable garden.
To secure your garden from squirrels, follow us for production methods.
- Bites on the spring bulbs
- Dig ups near the spring bulbs
- Missing or damaged crops
- Digging around in the container soil
- Disappeared bird food
- Keep animals that chase squirrels. Opting for a dog will prevent the squirrel from attacking your garden. The squirrels stay away from them when they see a dog nearby.
- The Dogs are the Natural Squirrel Deterrents.
- Squirrels can’t abide those pesky dogs.
Create A Barrier
- To keep the squirrels away from the yard, ensure secure barriers around the vegetables and garden corners.
- A barrier like row covers, chicken wire, or a greenhouse will protect the plants from squirrels.
- Remember to place the barrier deep in the ground so the squirrel can’t dig and reach the target by underground diggings.
- Physical barriers provide the best defense against squirrel attacks.
- Purchase a net, cover, or fence specifically made for squirrels.
- The reason is, they can pass through certain nets with ease.
- Purchase a wire fence.
- Place it around your vegetable garden.
- Take the fence and bury it 6 inches deep into the ground.
- That will keep the squirrels out of the garden.
- You can lay aluminum foil across the top of vegetable pots.
- The aluminum is shiny material, and shine is not favorable to squirrels.
- The squirrels will stay away from the plants.
- Remember to poke holes for water.
- The squirrels can’t abide by the shiny reflection of aluminum foil.
Using Natural Squirrel Repellents
It acts as a natural squirrel repellent.
- Purchase the urine sample from garden nurseries.
- Take a urine sample of a predator animal and Spread it around your garden.
- You can spray it around the vegetable garden to keep the squirrels away.
- Remember to reapply the urine daily.
- The squirrels might think that the predator exists near us.
- That’s why they will not dare to enter the garden.
Select any pepper available at your home.
- Peppers including
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground chili peppers
- Pepper flakes
- Garlic pepper
- Take any of the above pepper and sprinkle them around the garden.
- Apply this method when the plants are ready to bloom.
- The peppers will keep the plants safe from squirrels.
By planting such plants, you discourage the squirrels. Bulbs that squirrels hate include
- Crown imperial bulbs (Fritillaria)
- snowdrops (Galanthus)
- grape hyacinths (Muscari)
- Ornamental alliums.
The unpalatable taste, and fragrant, keep the squirrels away from your vegetable garden.
Hiding or Relocating Their Food
- Keep your garden clean. It keeps the squirrel away.
- The fallen nuts, acorns, and berries attract the squirrels to enter the garden.
- By entering the garden, they cause harm to the nearby grown vegetables.
- To keep the squirrels away, opt for relocating the food sources to an area where squirrels are welcomed warmly, especially outside the yard.
- Keep the trash can secured with the lids.
To secure your garden from squirrels, follow us for production methods. Grab the agents that are not favored by the squirrels, for example, dogs, plants, nets, fences, and wires around the vegetable plants.
To keep the squirrels away, opt for relocating the food sources to an area where squirrels are welcomed warmly, especially outside the yard.