How to support peas when growing. When the pea plant begins to grow, it’s time to think about its support.
How to support peas when growing
All you need is a staking method that will help your peas grow in a suitable direction with firm support.
If you are looking for staking methods, follow the handy guide. Choose the best suited pea plant.
Height of Pea Plants
Determine the height of the pea plant by ensuring the quality and variety of the seeds purchased.
Height will help you select the best support for your pea plant.
- Minimum height-3 feet (90 cm.)
- Maximum height- 6 feet (1.8 m.)
Supporting Materials for Pea Plant
Bamboo is very useful in terms of support.
Opt for bamboo canes to provide the pea plant with firm support.
- Perfectly straight
- Enhance beauty
- Long length
- Resistant to weathering
- A bit costly
- Bamboos are from China
- Wire mesh with a bamboo cane
- To make firm support, opt for other materials along with the bamboo cane.
- For an instant, we will be using wire mesh with bamboo canes.
- Take measurements of the area with planted peas.
- Make wire meshes up to 5 feet high.
- After that, Take a bamboo cane and pass it through the mesh.
- The bamboo cane should be attached to the corners and the middle of the mesh wire.
- Repeat the procedure and place the bamboos correctly.
- Remember to Leave 7 inches of each bamboo cane bare at the bottom of the mesh wire.
- The reason behind this is, it will go in the ground.
- Once the bamboo canes are attached, push the bare end into the ground.
- Your pea plants get staked firmly.
- Connect the wire with a small string to the bamboo canes.
- That will make the bamboo cane attached to the wire.
Where will you get the stakes?
No issue, stakes can be
- Fallen tree branches
- Old PVC pipe
Height of stake
4- 10 feet (1.2m- 3 m)
- Take the stakes and place them every few feet.
- The stakes should be behind the pea plants.
- Take a sturdy cotton twine and string it along the middle and top sides of the stakes.
- You can also use nylon mesh with the stakes. They are attached and enhance the support.
- To provide support to the pea plants, you can opt for a metal rod. (Firm, straight fence like)
- Metal rods are firm supporting and can be attached with other supports to provide firm support.
Teepee Shaped Trellis
- It’s an attractive staking method for supporting pea plants.
- A simple pole supports two pea plants.
- It can be costly to place many poles every 6-8 inches.
- For this purpose, All you need is to employ other support.
- In this way, the poles can be farther away and still provide firm support.
- You can place the materials in various formats to support the pea plants.
The methods include;
- Double row
- Wall or Fence
- Central Support
Advantages of Staking
- Directs the plants
- Picking of the grown peas gets easy
- Keep the plant off the ground
- Pods visible
When the pea plant in the garden begins to grow, it’s time to think for its support, a staking method that may include the use of either stake, bamboo canes, wire meshes, or chicken wires.
It will help your peas grow in a suitable direction with firm support. If you are looking for staking methods, follow the handy guide.
Opt for the method that best suits the plant. Remember to select the height of support to the mature pea plant length.